CHRISTIAN ALS, DENMARK
CHILDHOOD IN RUINS
The war traumatized 6-year-old Abdel Aziz. In early 2009, Israel’s war against Hamas and other militant Palestinian groups in the Gaza strip lasted for 22 days. During the ground and air attacks, approximately 1,400 people were killed. The war left its mark on the souls of the survivors.
The images of war are also burned into Abdel’s brain. On the first day of school, one week after the ceasefire, psychologists take care of him and the other children.
A Palestinian boy is looking for his toys in what is left of his family house, where the walls are full of bullet holes. About 4,000 buildings have been completely destroyed in Gaza and more than 50,000 have lost their homes. After weeks of living in fear of the next air raid warning, the conflict region has at last calmed a bit: people can attend Friday prayers again.
Curriculum Vitae: Christian Als
© Christian Als
About me: I am a Danish photojournalist born in the countryside outside Copenhagen. Most of my work centers on 'concerned photography' and I am constantly drawn to social, political and economic issues throughout the world. I have worked in countries like Russia, China, Tibet, DR Congo, Uganda, Kenya, Gaza, Lebanon, Syria, Kazakhstan, Latvia, India and Pakistan. In 2006 I graduated from the Danish School of Journalism.
My passion and interest in photography developed in the late nineties after extensive travels in third world countries, where I realized the urge to document my surroundings. I love to undertake social and humanitarian projects around the world, and like the journey a photographic project can turn into over time. Most of all I just love people and love photography. My work has been published in publications such as TIME, The New Yorker, GEO, Stern, Der Spiegel, The Sunday Times Magazine, L'espresso, D La Repubblica delle donne, Internazionale and El Pais Semanal.
- 2009 Honorable Mention in UNICEF Photo of the Year 2009
- 2009 Honorable Mentions in Prix de la Photographie, Generel News and War News
- 2009 Silver Prize in China International Press Photo 2008
- 2009 Honorable Mention in China International Press Photo 2008
- 2009 3rd Place in Best Of Photojournalism 2009 - Environmental Picture Story
- 2009 2nd Prize in 'News Photo of the Year' in the Danish Picture of the Year
- 2008 Honorable Mention in UNICEF Photo of the Year 2008
- 2008 Gold Prize in China International Press Photo 2007
- 2008 3rd Place in Best Of Photojournalism 2008 - Best Published Picture Story
- 2008 Honerable Mention in Best Of Photojournalism 2008 - Best Published Picture Story
- 2008 Third Place in POY 2008 - 'Feature Picture Story'
- 2006 Gold Prize in 'Sports News - Stories' in China International Press Photo 2005
- 2006 1st Prize in 'Sport Feature' in the Danish Picture of the Year 2005/2006
- 2005 1st Prize - student section in International Documentary Photo Awards Korea